Monday, April 4, 2016

Another Year Older & Wiser

Well I have survived another year on this planet.  I don't feel "older".....But I definitely feel wiser.  I have learned a lot about myself int he past year.  I have had a lot of growth mentally and emotionally. I have lost forty pounds and am getting to where I have a lot more energy.  Not to mention the fact I don't hurt from extra physical exertion or unexpected slips on the ice.  I feel better than I have in years.  Physically and emotionally. I finally crawled out of the gray depths of depression for more than a very short while and have stayed out.  I feel like "me" again, just better than before.  The other big thing I have learned is to be grateful and appreciative of what my body can do.

I have decided that now is the time where I get that second childhood.  Twenty/thirty something again but with the wisdom, self love and confidence I lacked the first time around.  I am working on regaining the perspective and energy I had for life then.  The world is my oyster and anything is possible kind of attitude.  I have at least another twenty to thirty years left and I want them to be good.  I want to have fun, make a lot a of great memories and have a wonderful time.  I am looking forward to getting my body back into prime physical condition.  I am curious to see how close I can get to regaining the strength, energy and stamina I had in my twenties and early thirties.

I went for a hike in the desert at a favorite spot.   The weather was gorgeous.  I took my good friend and neighbor with me.  We have been to a lot of the same places and we have talked about "getting out" for a while.  So I drug him out to accompany me on a "birthday" hike.   Wonder if he'll be willing to go out hiking with me again.  Ran him into the ground I am afraid.  Of course the fact he partied too hard the night before did not help.  I took it easy on him though.  I set a slower pace than normal, at least for me anyway. Well we shall see.  

I was appalled to realize it has been at least four years since I went out and played int he desert.  I used to go several times a month weather permitting.  This was my second time walking out cross country from the "top" of the small canyon we hiked up through.  The first time was the last time I was there four years ago.

Yesterday was my "Friday".  I put in seven hours at work on five hours of sleep.  Then I went on a three mile hike.  I was so jazzed when I got home that I ended up going out and working on my front roses.  Pruning and weeding around them.  Yes, I got to the pruning a good month late this year.

And the best part?  I get to go out and hike it again today with my sons!   It is going to be another beautiful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment