Monday, November 16, 2015

Monday, November 16, 2015

This Sunday we covered the four basic defensive positions.  I find it fascinating how there are certain,  basic moves that are the same at their core in both Eastern and Western martial arts.  I learned some basic grappling moves.  Ways to grab and hold someone and how to counter them.  These moves are as important to self defense in the here and now as in the past too.   

I have to admit that when I first learned that Armizare is sword, dagger and grappling my first reaction was "Ewww, I don't want to learn grappling."  (I saw it as wrestling and it is much more than that.)  I was good with the dagger as it is on my learning wish list too.  I decided that two out of three wasn't bad and I'd just have to deal with it.  Now that we have actually got to it I find I am just fine with it.  I just needed to change my perspective of it.  

I feel very lucky to have found this group and the wonderful people in it.  I am looking forward to a future learning new skills, some arcane and some applicable in the here and now and the friendships I am building.  It is an amazing world that is opening up for me.  And I have found a fun way to get exercise to boot.  




No comments:

Post a Comment