Thursday, October 15, 2015

New Book "Modern Bushido"

I ordered a book a week ago and it arrived yesterday.  "Modern Bushido, Samurai Teachings for Modern Times" by Toshishiro Obata.   I read parts one and two.  I tried to read it slowly and carefully-not to race ahead in the manner I am so prone to doing.  For me it was an amazing experience.  I love how he pares everything down to it's bare essence in such a clean elegant manner. I am so glad I purchased it and that it is not an e-book.  I have underlined quite a bit and made notes in it with a pencil.

I was raised to respect books and to handle them with care and I always have.   I started to read it and the urge to note a particular sentence or passage struck.  As I was resisting the urge I recalled several different instances of books like this being notated and commented on as the reader read from them. So I grabbed a pencil and went for it.  This book is for me-to help me become the person I want to be. It amazes me how narrow and focused my world became in order for me to survive it.  I look forward to it guiding and broadening my thinking again.  As an hyper-active (ADD) adult I need this to prevent me from bouncing around willy-nilly and to help me see ALL areas and not miss things.

One of the things that really resonated with me is he talks about how in life one will experience three major changes.  I have felt lately that I am on my third major life change.  I look forward to my evolving and improving life.

"What does it mean to be Samurai?
  To devote yourself utterly to a set of moral principles.
  To seek a stillness of your mind.
  And to master the way of the sword."
                                                          -The Last Samurai (2003)

The above saying is from a meme I saw today on Facebook.  I did not check on and so I hope it is correct.  I have always tried to live my life in a good, honorable manner.  I will honestly say that when I was ill and using I did not always do so.  Addiction tends to take a toll on one's morals not to mention all those other areas.

I did my stretching and am practicing with my training sword twice a day.  Morning and evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment